Sunday, March 05, 2006

Grey Gardens

Since my weekend job is in a small suburban town I usually see the same people every weekend. Two of those people are and elderly woman and her middle aged daughter. You can tell from the their usual discourse that they spend far to much time together and over time their rolls have reversed.

Every time they come in the daughter will corner a coworker to complain about something we no longer carry. In excruciating detail she will explaining what she used the product for to someone who usually isn’t listening and has no power to help her. If she realizes you aren’t paying attention she will go complain to someone else until she’s satisfied.

Her mother will get bored then start wandering around the store only to get disoriented and loose her way. She will start to yell for her daughter. No mater where you are in the store you can hear them shouting to each other in a shrill New England accents.

“Leigh? Leigh?”

“I’m Ovah Hee-aaaah!”

Both are unaware of the spectacle they are making of themselves.

Every time I see them I ask my coworkers have seen Grey Gardens but none of them have.
Grey Gardens is a documentary that follows the exocentric aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy. Who are living in a dilapidated mansion in the Hampton. The mansion is over run by cats and raccoons. The mother and daughter are in danger of being evicted from their home by the town. After the documentary was made Jackie Kennedy stepped in to make the needed repairs to the home.

Yesterday I heard on NPR there is an off Broadway play based on the story. Today I went to look up the play I leaned the movie has an underground cult following like Harold and Maude. There is also a movie in the works.

I hope they are able to capture the craziness of this exocentric pair.

5 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger dpaste said...

Christine Ebersol and Mary Louise Wilson. I believe it's going to be a musical. I'm rather excited.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger The Persian said...

Sounds very interesting. I need to see this.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Troy said...

how would hollywood handle a gay version of harold and maude?

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger BriteYellowGun said...

teehee, crazy old eccentric people are funny!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger dpaste said...

The review just came out in the Times.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/theater/reviews/08grey.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home