Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Year in Review

I started to write a post about how crappy the past year has been and how ineffective I have been in moving my life forward. Then I decided that isn't the person I want to be so I made a list of things that I brought me happiness in the past year. You know turn that frown upside down, but less hokie. The list is in no particular order.

Fran making it to her 79th year. Fran is my maternal grandmother. She isn't one of those push over old ladies. When relaying a story about a waitress who told her the whisky she ordered may be a bit to much for her she told me. "Scotty, I don't mind telling you this woman had few miles on her. I just looked at her and said don't worry I've been doing this for quite a while, I am sure I can handle it."


Another night we were having dinner for my mother's birthday. We were talking about my father writing homilies for Mass she turned to him to say, "What ever you do Paul, remember to keep it short!" Only she can get away with that, she's the best.

My friend Cathy. Cathy and I have known each other for nearly 30 years. Our families used to camp together. We would see each other every summer. I know her entire family and she knows until Up untill a few years before I moved to mutualad mutaual friends. We hadn't seen each other in at least 10 years. Then we ran into each other at my weekend job. Cathy has been through quite a bit in the past year. I wish I could handle life's unexpected curveballs with the optimism and grace that she has. I very happy to have her back in my life.

Matisyahu. If you don't know of him and you are a reggae fan you owe it yourself to pick up "Live At Stubbs". It's amazing. It's been a while since I have liked a new artist as much as I like him. He is a Hasidic Jew, his songs are about Judiea, spirituality, and social injustice. When I first heard about him I thought the Hasidic this was just shtick, but he's the real deal. He blends both worlds well in a way that makes what he sings about universal. It's will worth your $9.99.

Attending Nicole's wedding. My friend Nicole got married this year then moved to the UK a month later. The wedding was at her mother's house in Las Vegas. I was very happy to be there to lend a hand at a time that was very hectic for her. She made a beautiful bride. It was also great meet some of her mother and sister. They are people I had only known in stories. They were far more interesting in life. Her wedding was the best time I'd had in a long time. Her husband is a very lucky man.


Finkelbutt. Even though she never returns my calls and decided that she is no longer a lesbian, I am happy to have reconnect with her this year. We were very good friends, long story short we lost touch for about 10 years. Then we were both living on the North Shore. Much to my surprise she had been looking for me for about six months. As luck would have it our reconnection was because of my second job.

Working. I am very happy to be working. I was laid-off for about three months this year. Three months isn't a terribly long time, but at that time I had been laid-off twice in the past ten months. My job isn't particularly challenging or interesting, nor does it pay very well. However there is something to be said for a regular paycheck.

A lesbian co-worker. This is the first place I have worked full-time since I have been back in MA where I work with another gay person. I had suspected her to be a lesbian, but since we have no reason for contact at our office I never spoke to her. Then she brought her partner to our Holiday Party. Now, I make it a point to chat her up every time I see her. She is very sweet and personable. I need to make a date with her for some Korean food.

These have been the highlights of 2005 in the life of me. I am going to try to forget the lowlights.

Happy New Year.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger The Persian said...

Thanks for sharing those highlights of your 2005. Your grandmother sounds amazing!! And I love it how she (and my gram) can say whatever they please and get away with it!

:)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger dpaste said...

Good for you. While you shouldn't forget about the negative, focusing on the positive is healthier. It puts you in a frame of mind to locate greater positive opportunities, instead of looking for the next bad thing to add to your list of why your life sucks.

Wishing you a 2006 with an even longer "positives" list for your wrap up 12 months from now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home