Monday, May 15, 2006

WIll the Rain Ever Stop?

It has been raining here for almost a week. When the rain started I was excited because it was suppressing the pollen and lessening the danger of fires. But it’s been raining so hard for so long we are having the worst flooding since the ‘30’s.

The area of the state I live in has been hit the hardest, followed by the area my office is located. The main square in Peabody (pee-bah-dee), the town next to mine, is under 4 feet of water. There have been evacuations all over northern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. Several major roads are closed because of flooding. My usual 40 min commute was extended to 2 hours this morning.

The worst may be yet to come. My office is across the street from the Merrimack River the biggest river north of Boston. The river is expected to crest at midnight. Many houses on the river in have been evacuated from Manchester, New Hampshire to Newburyport, MA. If the river does overflow it’s banks my office will only be accessible by rowboat.

I will be looking forward to the free day off.

7 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Blogger coolbuddha said...

So that's where our rain has gone! Here in England the first drought order in 11 years has been issued -some areas have had the lowest rainful in 80 years.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I read yesterday about all of your rain- been a bit worried about you. . .

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger dpaste said...

I can't complain. While it's raining here today, the weekend carried the threat of rain but it never materialized. Guess you guys got it all. Just make sure you moisturize. All that damp can actually dry your skin.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Will said...

It's over! While many communities are sweating out damaged and precarious dams, the rain is over and the sun poured into my bedroom this morning like a long lost friend.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger BriteYellowGun said...

Have you...blub blubblub...been..blubblub...washed away?

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Troy said...

dylan was right when he said a hard rain's gonna fall, at least it aint bullets

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Lynn. I hope you made it through all this rain.

Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home