Friday, January 27, 2006

Do You Take Sugar . . . One Lump or Two?

This morning’s drive to work down 114 was typical. I was wishing a slow painful demise upon the driver of the Toyota Camry in front of me. Twice he changed lanes with out signaling then threw a lit cigarette out is window surly his death would benefit society.

Normally I don’t listen to radio in the morning, unless it’s NPR. I hate the mindless banter of most morning shows. Hearing Marge from Methuen’s opinion on Karen from Medford’s marital problem is not how I enjoy spending my morning commute. Not that I ever enjoy the commute.

But this morning when I got in the car I was half a sleep and more concerned with being able to visit my new Brazilian boyfriend (he doesn’t know we’re dating) at Dunkin Donuts to get a bagel then was with the radio. I mind was too occupied to think of putting on a CD.

I was 20 minutes into the 45 minute drive when I heard the begging of the song.

“Step inside, walk this way
You and me babe, Hey hey”

I reached radio to …. turn it up. (Ok David I like bad music now and again too!)


“Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on
Livin' like a lover with a radar phone
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp
Demolition woman, can I be your man”

Not only did I turn it up . . . I sang, I sang as loud as I could. I didn’t care who was watching, surprising myself that I still know all the words.


I was transported back to 1988 driving down US 1 in my friend Julie’s Chrysler LeBaron. The bright August sun was about to set.
My girlfriend Stephanie and I had spent all day in Julie’s pool, our faces had a sun kissed glow. Now the three of us were heading to Kelly’s Roast Beef on Revere Beach for a clam roll. As we sped through Saugus past the Hilltop we screamed the lyrics. It was the perfect summer day.

If it hadn’t been in the 20’s this morning, I would have rolled the windows down to try to capture that feeling again.







3 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger The Persian said...

its so awesome how a song can take us back to a moment in our past so vividly. Happens to me all the time. :)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger dpaste said...

Def Lepard.

Oh.My.God.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

Ok so it was really Wham!

I was just trying to sound butch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home