Thursday, October 12, 2006

Break Up to Make Up

I am usually not so indecisive when it comes to dating people. Usually I either like you or I don’t. In the past if I decided I didn’t want to date you there was nothing you could say or do that would change my mind. For some reason things have worked out to be a bit different this time. So Chinese Boyfriend (as my Indonesian friend calls him) and I are back together and things are good. And I am happy. I think.

He grew up in Taipei and moved to the Yonkers, NY when he was 11, which makes for an odd accent. Odd in an enduring way not a “there all gonna laugh at you” sort of way.

It’s going to be interesting to see how I am going to integrate our relationship into my family. His family lives in New York, they’re fragmented and not close so it will be less of an issue with them. However mine is a bit different. There is only one other time I brought a boyfriend home to meet my family. His name is Javier my sister kept calling him Jose. After about the fourth time of me correcting her she said she was going to start calling him Fred, like it was his fault that she is an idiot. I am sure it will make for some interesting posts.

6 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you can choose your friends but you are stuck with your family. Some say that God gave us families to teach us to deal with people we really don't like. One way or another, it will all work out.

Oh! Thanks for the link to Joe Frank! I used to listen to Work In Progress all the time when I was in Grad School.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger The Persian said...

"I am sure it will make for some interesting posts."

Yea I can't wait to hear about E's interaction with your family.

Have a great weekend :)

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Will said...

How is his family with his being gay? Traditional Chinese families can be brutal if they find out a son's gay. I hope this isn't something you and he will have to face.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess my LV bags aren't so bad after all and you did sing "Shake it Off" while at my apt...xoxo

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Scott E D said...

They don't talk about it. I know he never came out and they don't ask. His family isn't all that traditional. His parents are still married though his father never immigrated to the US. His father lives in Taiwan and his mother lives in New Jersey. He is much closer to his aunt who helped raise him.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny about your "chinese" boyfriend. My bf is from Singapore, and when we were in Paris clubbing, two cute guys asked me if I had a bf. I pointed at mine, and they said, "Oh, the Japanese boy." :)

Keith
http://www.brokenwhole.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home